The 101 of Facility Management: Everything You Should Know
The 101 of Facility Management: Everything You Should Know
A better facility management inevitably drives the growth of any business. It is at the heart of efficiency, enhanced coordination, safety and security of the resources while engaging with their work and environment.
Facility management is a constantly evolving spectrum that supports the core operations of a business. An ideal facility management system (FMS) in place ensures the growth and development of a variety of management functions.
The functionalities of an FMS include that the key processes are well-established, maintained and contributing to the optimized efficiency of the staff in an absolute environment.
Here is your little handbook for everything you should know about what facility management is and how to start implementing facility management services in your business.
Facility Management Definition and a Brief Look
The field of facility management can be defined as the services and support tools that optimise the functionality, sustainability, and safety of the buildings, real estate, infrastructure, and grounds.
Facility management is an umbrella term. It can be further divided into various functionalities that come in sync, deriving the intended outcomes of the facility.
- Facility Operations – Facility operations refer to the systematic management of the assets, processes, services of the facility. It also involves identifying the necessary tools, efficient operation models, and implementing best practices.
- Occupancy and Space Management – Involves implementing effective space management strategies, including tracking the usage of organization’s physical space, occupancy information, and executing spatial plans.
- Enhance Occupant’s Satisfaction – Taking measures to increase occupant’s experience, familiarity and satisfaction levels to increase productivity and cut down the management cost.
- Energy Management – It involves the planning and production of energy for the facility, analyzing energy consumption, distribution and storage.
- Emergency Management – Providing seamless evacuation, complex response, and recovery strategies in the face of an emergency. The function also involves effective business continuity plans.
Soft and Hard Facility Management: What’s the Difference?
For the ease of operations and flexibility, the facility management services are divided into hard and soft FM services.
Hard FM Services
These services involve structural changes to the building. Lack of proper maintenance can directly affect the safety of the occupants. Hard FM services are non-negotiable, and required to comply with local laws.
- Gas, heating, and plumbing
- Maintenance of HVAC systems (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning)
- Fire safety and emergency evacuation system
- Electrical and mechanical
- Periodic building maintenance work
Soft FM Services
Involves the facility management services that enhance convenience and pleasantness of the facility.
- Cleaning, decorating, and waste management
- Maintaining parks, landscaping, and decorating
- Pest control and furniture maintenance
- Open space and parking maintenance
A Facility Management System: Why Do You Need It?
A Facility Management System (FMS) streamlines the maintenance process by focusing on optimizing the space, building, and occupants wellbeing. Offering a range of solutions as an integrated platform, FMS are getting smarter and better day by day. Take a look into the qualities of an FMS platform before you choose your solution provider.
There are many efficient facility management software platforms that help in better maintenance of the building. Understand your core objectives and choose the platform that complies with your type of business or production.
The platform should cooperate with business operations stand up-and-running to keep the production proceeding.
- Planning and scheduling maintenance
- Regulatory compliance
- Work order maintenance and creation
- Material management
- A close tab on the cost calculation
Asset and Space Management
Asset management is crucial to get the targeted ROI off the physical asset you have invested in. Space management enables you to overlay SOPs, spatial and asset data to keep operations of each floor accessible and manageable.
- Planning and scheduling space and its allocation
- Overall facility scheduling and maintenance
- Detailed space utilization dashboards
- GPS location interface
- Interactive floor plans
A handy platform for the facility managers and the owners to understand where their money, time and resources are going while measuring the productivity accurately. Also, helps in predicting the future capital and where it goes in facility management.
- Documenting the completed work orders
- Scheduling and planning maintenance
- Resource allocation and planning
- Data of assets replaced or fixed
Helps with movement of the assets by providing data related to physical assets the company owns, cost of each asset, their location, and when they are due for maintenance. The platforms also support ideal transit conditions by identifying the movement schedules, routes and the documents needed for the transit.
- Scheduling and tracking movement
- Ability to handle multiple properties
- Automated workflows
- Mobile accessibility
An integrated platform to digitize your employee and visitor access. The platform provides a complete digital check-in process, issues access, and helps in getting the pre-registration for the visitors.
- Visitor badge printing and pre-registration
- Compliance with security management
- Customizable check-in and check-out
- Multi-device accessibility and control
- Unified visitor dashboard
Integrated Workforce Management System (IWMS)
The tools for better facility management include software platforms and machinery. The most effective FM software platform collects data from an array of systems, analyzes, and provides accurate insights and solutions.
The recent developments in the Internet of Things (IoT) are infusing the analytics derived by these systems with Artificial Intelligence (AI) creating an Integrated Workplace Management System (IWMS).
The cloud-based software solutions also enable the facility managers to automate all their major functions involved in handling their facility and assists while making data-based decisions taking FMS to a whole new level.
We hope this little black book has helped you understand the major aspects involved in facility management. Follow us for more on facility management services, systems and solutions.